California Energy Commission
President & CEO
Chief Executive Officer
Renewable Energy Buyers Association
President & CEO
Smart Electric Power Association
With an increasing number of cities and states establishing 100 percent clean energy targets, panelists will discuss the grid challenges and requirements associated with achieving high penetrations of renewable energy and storage.
- The evolving roles of power markets and load service entities in managing grid services
- Maintaining reliability and resource adequacy: policy, regulatory and technology solutions
- Transmission requirements: can storage and DER resources offer non-wires alternatives?
- Enabling the financing/funding of grid technologies to accelerate the transition to high-penetration renewables
Jeff St. John
Large end users and power sector experts will explore policy, regulatory and technology strategies that corporate buyers can adopt to promote deep decarbonization of the grid.
- Evaluating the carbon impact of purchasing strategies: hourly carbon accounting methods and location-specific analyses
- Opportunities to leverage C&I influence for broadly beneficial regulatory change
- Clean technologies and other tools companies can procure to avoid carbon emissions
Senior utility executives will offer perspectives on the opportunities and challenges for renewable integration in an expanding marketplace.
- What utilities require from power markets and transmission systems to expand their clean portfolios
- Deploying renewables, storage, aggregated DER and other ancillary service technologies to bolster bulk power and distribution systems
- Renewable asset ownership vs. PPAs
CCAs are growing in popularity as an alternative electricity provider for communities that want more local control over their energy mix. Financiers, CCAs and other business leaders will dive into what this growth means for the electric grid, utility business models and project finance.
- Cooperation with power markets while balancing local autonomy
- Improving the creditworthiness of CCAs
- Evolving contracts, and what they mean for project finance
- Maintaining reliability as the influx of new load service entities enter the marketplace
Grid experts will debate the effectiveness of deploying renewable energy, storage, hybrid systems and DER to replace costly fossil fueled peaker plants and provide capacity services.
- Options in wholesale markets vs. vertically integrated utility regions
- Economic competitiveness with the conventional options
- Case studies on the successful deployment of such systems
Looking forward, RTOs/ISOs and the renewable sector will examine the potential impacts of wholesale market efforts to value flexibility, competition, reliability and resilience.
- Review of RTO/ISO performance: benefits and operational challenges
- How wholesale markets adapt to zero marginal cost energy supply and incorporate public policy mandates from states and the federal government
- Potential impact of the FERC resilience docket
- Opportunities and barriers to RTO expansion in the West, and the repercussions of growing energy imbalance markets
Location: Hilton San Francisco Financial District, Terrace
Join renewable energy executives and power grid experts for an exclusive networking reception featuring hors d’oeuvres, craft cocktails and stunning sunset views of the San Francisco skyline. It’s the perfect way to cap off your stay in the City by the Bay and reflect on the forum’s insightful discussions.